St. Andrew's student-lead community service program lies at the center of the school's commitment to developing habits of service in our students. We believe strongly that students should serve others because they want to, not because they have to (i.e. in order to fulfill a school requirement); for this reason, all student service work is voluntary. St. Andrew's offers students numerous opportunities to serve on the local, regional, and national or international levels, and over 70% of our students are involved in community service projects each year. We offer opportunities for weekly off-camps service work during our two-hour Wednesday lunch block. Depending on the project, students may participate in programs individually, as a part of teams or organizations on campus, as dormitory groups, as a Form, and occasionally, as an entire school. All-school service projects are selected and directed by a student committee (and supervised by a group of faculty).
Just going and doing service, say, forty minutes a week—that’s not really what we’re talking about in our mission statement. What we’re talking about is having a heart that is oriented toward serving other people.
Chaplain Jay Hutchinson
Just A Few Ways to Serve at St. Andrew's...
- Mentor or tutor local elementary school students
- Give swim lessons to children with disabilities in the Genereaux Aquatic Center
- Get to know a senior citizen through weekly visits to a local senior center for games, baking, and conversation
- Join one of our weekly Friday night trips to bring to dinner to homeless shelters in Wilmington, where you'll serve and eat dinner with residents
- Volunteer for Delaware Special Olympics events, held both on and off-campus throughout the year
- Lead creative and athletic activities at the Middletown Boys & Girls Club
- Build local Habitat for Humanity homes
- Serve meals at a local soup kitchen
- Ring a bell for the Salvation Army during the holidays
- Pitch in the Veterans Resilience Center right in town
- Help to organize on-camps blood drives, clothing drives, food drives, and fundraisers
- Clean up trash on local roadways