Dear Parents and Guardians,
As director of athletics, I am beginning a new tradition of writing to you during each sports season with reminders about your role as fans during St. Andrew’s games. We love—especially after years of COVID interruptions—having parents at our games providing positive support for our teams and players. Any fan of the Saints is also a representative of the school, and we are proud to enjoy a reputation around the league and the state for positivity and good sportsmanship. As members of the Delaware Independent Schools Conference (DISC), we adhere to their Code of Ethics for Spectators, and of course, we also expect all Saints to adhere to the values of St. Andrew’s athletics program.
As a reminder, the DISC Code of Ethics for Spectators is:
- No artificial noisemakers (including electric megaphones).
- No booing.
- No noise or other distractions during basketball foul shots.
- No riding or distracting of any player.
- No public dissatisfaction with the officials.
- Complete cooperation with cheerleaders.
- Welcoming posters are deemed appropriate in gym areas such as lobbies, gyms, and entrances if approved by the school’s athletic director. (Generally, no posters, signs, or banners should be in the game area.)
- St. Andrew’s will have adequate faculty supervision for each contest to ensure the above conduct.
In short, visiting teams, players, their fans, and officials should always be treated with courtesy. It is particularly important that we not interact with the officials at games or make noise during basketball foul shots. These are long-standing traditions for St. Andrew’s. You may see fans at other schools violating these precepts. The conduct of another team or their fans is never a reason for us to violate these rules in turn—but I hope you will share any observations with me, or with a St. Andrew’s faculty member or coach, so that we can follow up with our colleagues at competing schools if need be.
Please remember and follow the above precepts whenever you are in attendance at St. Andrew’s sporting events. Our goal as a community is to keep the atmosphere positive at all athletic competitions and set an example of great behavior around the league.
I appreciate all you do to support Saints athletics. I am always here to discuss athletics at St. Andrew’s, so please be in touch if you have any questions.
Neil Cunningham (“Mr. C”)
Director of Athletics