Dear St. Andrew’s Family,
As we continue to reflect on the trauma, pain, and outrage of the past month in the United States, we need and want to study and further the work of racial equity, inclusion, and understanding at St. Andrew’s. We have so much important work to do to make sure St. Andrew’s fulfills its full promise and potential for our Black students and all students of color.
In order to analyze and explore these crucial issues, I am inviting our alumni of color to have one-on-one conversations with me to share their experiences and personal truths from their time at our school. These conversations will help provide the school with vital feedback and evaluation on how St. Andrew’s culture, program, and spirit can be affirmed, developed, reframed, and transformed. We also welcome conversations about the alumni transition to college and professional life.
This is the moment to do the work for future generations of St. Andreans. We will all build this plan together, connecting generations at the School.
Dean of Diversity Education Devin Duprey, my school leadership team, and the faculty are eager to engage in this powerful community conversation. We look forward to your insights and recommendations.
From my own standpoint, I seek to understand how I can make my voice and values more clear, compelling, and urgent in my final months at the School.
Given this urgency, we understand that there are action steps that we seek to take here in our community, including the following:
- We need to intensify and innovate our hiring process as we seek greater diversity within our faculty.
- We seek to further refine our approaches to student life diversity and inclusion explorations throughout the academic year.
- We are committed to funding professional development opportunities for faculty as they seek to develop their understanding of their critical roles in this work.
- We are dedicated to intensifying the work we have already pursued for years in the area of diversity education; we seek to support our Dean of Diversity Education Devin Duprey.
- We are eager to do both internal and external studies of what needs new or renewed attention, creativity, and reform.
- We want to develop stronger approaches to assure that all alumni of color stay connected to one another and St. Andrew’s for a lifetime.
I welcome your participation in our effort to extend these initiatives and to identify and develop new commitments to serve future generations at the School. I seek your wisdom and insights, now more than ever.
If you identify as a person of color and you would like to talk to me and/or either Associate Head of School Ana Ramirez or Dean of Diversity Education Devin Duprey on the designated dates below and share your experiences, perspective, and recommendations, please email me (email@example.com) and my Assistant Debra Gerardi (firstname.lastname@example.org), or simply reply to this email.
July individual call dates and times:
- Monday, July 6, 4:30-6 PM, 7-10 PM—individual phone calls with alums of color from the Classes of 2000-2005
- Wednesday, July 8, 4:30-6 PM, 7-10 PM—individual phone calls with alums of color from the Classes of 2006-2010
- Monday, July 13, 4:30-6 PM, 7-10 PM—individual phone calls with alums of color from the Classes of 2011-2016
- Wednesday, July 15, 4:30-6 PM, 7-10 PM—individual phone calls with alums of color from the Classes of 2017-2020
- Monday, July 20, 4:30-6 PM, 7-10 PM—individual phone calls with alums of color from the Classes of 1996-1999
- Wednesday, July 22, 4:30-6 PM, 7-10 PM—individual phone calls with alums of color from the Classes of 1990-95
- Monday, July 27, 4:30-6 PM, 7-10 PM—individual phone calls with alums of color from the Classes of the 1980s
- Tuesday, July 28, 4:30-6 PM, 7-10 PM—individual phone calls with alums of color from Classes of the 1970s
- Wednesday, July 29, 4:30-6 PM, 7-10 PM—individual phone calls with alums of color from Classes of the 1960s
Of course, I will make the time to speak to every alum of color who wants to speak with me. If my dates and times do not work for you, we will develop alternative dates. I am here for each and every one of you.
I will continue to keep you and the extended community informed on my conversations, my learning, and my reflections on the School, as well as the actions we will take to strengthen our community.
Later this week, I will be writing to you again to share the work Devin Duprey, Dean of Faculty Development Emily Pressman, our faculty, and I are doing this summer to prepare for the 2020-2021 school year.