On a beautiful fall day, the varsity and JV boys cross-country teams raced in the New Castle County Championship. This race includes all 32 Division I and Division II teams in New Castle County, and thus is a more competitive field than we expect to see at the state championship meet next week.
As he has all season, Captain Alex Horgan ’18 led all Saints runners on the day as he finished in sixth place, clocking in at 16:06. Next to cross the finish line for the Saints were Blake Hundley ’20 and Tad Scheibe ’19, Hundley finishing in 16:41 (15th place) while Scheibe finished in 16:49 (19th place). Rounding out the top five runners for the Saints were Carson McCoy ’19 and Captain Alex Barreto ’18, with McCoy coming in 24th place with a time of 17:07, while Barreto finished two seconds behind, good enough for 27th place.
Highlights from today include:
* Fastest varsity team time on any course in team history (16:46:97). The varsity team consists of Alex Horgan ’18, Blake Hundley ’19, Tad Scheibe ’19, Carson McCoy ’19, Will Cammerzell ’19 and Augie Segger ’19.
* The varsity team tied with last year's team for highest finishing place in team history (third) for this meet.
* Four runners earned All-New Castle County recognition (Horgan, Hundley, Scheibe and McCoy).
* Best JV team finish (third) at the County Championship in team history, made possible by beating conference rival Tatnall by a score of 100 to 101.
* Second fastest JV team time (18:55) for this race in team history.
* Will Gray ’18 was awarded a medal in the JV race.
* Twelve of the fourteen runners who competed today ran PRs on the rolling hills of the Winterthur course.