St. Andrew's dance program is designed to provide the highest level of instruction in classical ballet and modern dance, and also facilitates opportunities for dance in other aspects of campus life. Dance students explore their own personal and physical creativity and artistry through the study of movement.
St. Andrew's offers dance program offers dance instruction for every student, from the beginner with no previous experience, to those with years of dance training.
Our Dance Fundamentals class develops an appreciation for dance while immersing the student in dance technique fundamentals. Students learn the elements of dance: line, form, body placement, movement quality, musicality, muscle control, and artistic expression.
Further advanced ballet and contemporary classes offer a more in-depth study of dance technique, and refine the student’s use of core control, movement quality, body placement, and aesthetic line. Our entire dance curriculum emphasizes increasing strength, agility, coordination, flexibility, and stamina; and nurturing self-expression and artistic freedom.
Students who complete introductory coursework in dance may choose to further their study by “majoring” in ballet or contemporary dance in their junior and/or senior years. Majors take a full-credit Advanced Study course in ballet or contemporary dance; the course is a working model of the professional dance world, and follows a three-pronged approach to their dance training, focusing on technique, skills & mastery, and choreography.
The dance program also makes possible other opportunities for dance on campus:
- Dance classes are available as an afternoon activity (not for academic credit) during the fall and spring athletic seasons.
- Student-led dance clubs (such as Hip-Hop Club) utilize our dance studios and are advised by dance faculty.
- The dance program holds performances, such as the Student Choreographic Showcase, for the school community throughout the year.
- The dance program assists with choreography for the school’s Winter Musical.
- Dance Fundamentals
- Male Dance Technique
- Intermediate/Advanced Ballet (Levels 3, 4 & 5)
- Intermediate/Advanced Contemporary Dance (Levels 3, 4 & 5)
- Advanced Study in Dance: Classical Ballet (Level 6)
- Advanced Study in Dance: Contemporary (Level 6)