Faculty & Administration Openings
St. Andrew’s currently has no administration openings.
Founded in 1929 with a historically unprecedented commitment to financial aid, St. Andrew’s is an Episcopal, co-educational, all-boarding high school situated on 2200 acres in Middletown, Delaware. St. Andrew’s is seeking a Director of Academic Support.
The Director of Academic Support works with students to understand their learning preferences and needs, maximize their strengths, and achieve academic independence and confidence.
The Director of Academic Support must possess thorough and current knowledge of learning differences and disabilities. She or he will work directly with students needing support to develop strategies, set goals, and monitor progress. An important component of this position is effective collaboration with teachers, administrators, and parents. The Director communicates often with teachers to hear what they are observing in the classroom; discusses individual students and their learning profiles with teachers and Academic Advisors; and reports to the Dean of Studies. The Director also communicates directly with parents about students’ needs and progress. He or she also communicates with school counselors or the consulting educational psychologist when needed.
The Director of Academic Support reviews educational evaluations and Learning Plans; assesses student needs for support throughout the year; and holds individual meetings with students during the academic day. The Academic Support Office, open to students during their free periods, is the home base for individual consultations and guidance, short check-ins, or student work space. Specific responsibilities of the job include:
Provide organizational and study skills training directly to students.
- Guide students on knowing and using individual Learning Plans and accommodations.
- Help students and teachers learn a variety of approaches for effective teaching and learning.
- Monitor students’ management of assignments and assessments, through weekly meetings, or as needed, with the goal of increasing student autonomy and independence.
- Review internal comments from teachers, meet with students, and communicate with Academic Advisors and the Dean of Studies about trends or specific challenges.
- Collaborate with faculty to identify students who would benefit from academic support.
- Serve on the Academic Committee and relevant ad hoc committees such as the Sustaining Excellence Self-Study; attend faculty meetings and teacher meetings for students of concern.
- Classroom teaching experience
- Masters Degree in Special Education or Learning Differences
St. Andrew’s School is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diverse candidates of all backgrounds, faith, and persuasions, and seek to foster an inclusive, welcoming community environment.
This job description is intended to describe the basic, critical elements of the job and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. A thorough background check, inclusive of fingerprinting, is required as a condition of employment.
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest and resume to:
St. Andrew’s School
Human Resources Office
350 Noxontown Road
Middletown, DE 19709