On September 17, hundreds of St. Andrew's students and faculty will participate in the Delaware MudRun. The Delaware MudRun is a charity footrace that benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Delaware. Over the last several years, it has become one of our most important and fun all-School community service events. Participating in the MudRun is optional, but if you are interested, we are asking for you to complete the waiver now, to ensure that we can register everyone in time. The waiver must be printed, filled out by hand, scanned and emailed to Kristin Honsel at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 11.
Driver Ed Info & Registration
St. Andrew's Driver Education course is offered in order to give your child the opportunity to gain valuable knowledge about rules and regulations of the road, and to obtain actual driving experience. Our program attempts to set a good foundation in the art of being a skillful driver. Please realize that upon completion of this course, your child will continue to learn through your examples and their own in-car experiences.
Please review the following information about and requirements of St. Andrew's 2016-17 Driver Education course.
- Driver Ed classroom instruction consists of a minimum of thirty classroom hours of instruction and independent study. The classes are held from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Sundays when School is in session, except on Parents Weekend (10/28 - 10/30) and Long Weekends. The course will begin in mid-October and continue until May.
- Behind-the-wheel instruction consists of a minimum of seven hours of actual driving experience and seven hours of driving observation.
- We do not use driving simulators. The automobile used for the behind-the-wheel instruction is specifically equipped for the inexperienced driver.
- Students are assigned to driving lessons during their free periods within the academic day. Students will be assigned no more than one period per day, and in most cases, only one period per week. Over the course of the year, your child will need to use approximately sixteen free periods to complete the behind-the-wheel instruction.
- In order to comply with Delaware laws, your written approval is needed before your child may begin his or her driving lessons.
- Students will have satisfactorily completed the classroom instruction component of the course when they have:
- passed the final examination;
- completed the all assignments;
- handed in a completed notebook; and
- when the instructor determines that the student has demonstrated all of the skilled actions and knowledge needed to drive safely.
- Students are expected to attend all classes and scheduled driving lessons. The first unexcused absence from either activity will result in an afternoon detention according to St. Andrew's policies for missing class. Students who have a second unexcused absence from either activity will be dropped from the course (illness being the exception). Requests for excused absences from the class or driving lesson should be made in advance with Driver Education Coordinator Terrell Myers at email@example.com or 302-285-4438. Legitimate excused absences include required academic field trips or weekend leaves wherein a parent cannot return his or her child to school by 1:00 p.m. on a Sunday when Driver Ed class is in session.
- The licensing procedures are not the same in all states, and the Delaware Department of Education and St. Andrew's School cannot guarantee that your child will be licensed in the state in which you reside. At the present time, the states of Virginia, New Jersey, and New York do not honor the Delaware Driver Education Certificate. Contact your local DMV to determine if your state of residence will honor the Delaware Diver Education Certificate.
For all out-of-state students, the cost of the Driver Education course is $532.00. There is no charge for students who are Delaware residents. If you are interested in enrolling your child in our Driver Education course, please complete and return the Driver Ed registration form by Friday, October 14, 2016. This form must be printed, filled out by hand, and mailed. Out-of-state residents, please enclose a check made payable to the Delaware Department of Education. Payment will not be processed until the drop-class deadline. Please note that there will be no refunds after the second week of the Driver Education course.
Please mail registration forms and checks to:
St. Andrew's School
350 Noxontown Road
Middletown, DE, 19938
Registration Deadline: Friday, October 14, 2016