School Medication Guidelines
Students may keep medications on dorm with approval from the Health Center. Students must also sign a self-administration agreement. The only medications that are eligible for on-dorm approval are listed below. Any medications not on this list, or not approved on an individual basis by the Health Center, must be administered to the student by the Health Center's Registered Nurses.
The following medications may be approved for dorm:
- creams or ointments for acne and other skin conditions
- ear drops
- eye drops
- nasal spray
- Nutritional/dietary supplements [Lactaid, vitamins, probiotics, etc.]
- Female hormones (birth control pills)
Note that no sleep aids, including melatonin, are permitted on dorm. These must be administered to students by Registered Nurses at the Health Center.
The Registered Nurses must approve these medications BEFORE they may be kept on dorm. Approval will not be applied retroactively.
Whether being kept on dorm on in the Health Center, all medications must be in their original packaging and be clearly labeled with the following:
- Student’s name
- Name of medication
- Current dosing instructions
- Time, frequency, route of administration
- Physician’s name
- Pharmacy address and phone number